It has been quite some time since I have done any work on my long-running Enterprise-refit project. This was mostly due to my shifting onto another of my hobbies, the old-school fantasy RPG called Hârn, which I have collected since 1983. Earlier this year we decided to move the home office from one room in the house to another. Having move boxes and boxes of printed material collected in numerous 3-ring binders and such, prompted me to begin to digitize it all so I could move all the Hârn material into storage. Needless to say the boxes I opened when moving turned out to be more of a Pandora’s box, in that I began converting it all into a fully interlinked wiki called Hârnica. So I have spent pretty much the last year doing that. I am still only about a 1/3rd of the way through it all and it has evolved into another of my “eternal hobbies”.Continue reading
After a brief hiatus from working on the detailing of the Enterprise-refit‘s recreation deck, I jumped back into it and modeled the multimedia intercom panel as well as made some corrections on the sidewall buttress light-panels. In addition, I finished drawing up the artwork for the alcove signage for the remaining five alcoves.
I took a break from modeling the Workbee to begin roughing out the 3D modeling of the Recreation Deck on the Enterprise-refit from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (TMP). This was one of the more visually interesting sets built for the film, but also the most problematic one for us rivet-counting Treknolgists.Continue reading
The other day, several people I have conversed with about the workbee, alerted me to some production drawings of an unused workbee grabber sled design. There was a grabber sled that was built and used for the workbee in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, however this design was an alternative one that did not appear in the film.Continue reading
Last night I had a breakthrough on some of the detailing for the workbee. While doing some online searching at some model hobby shop websites which have some decent background information on model kits, some including photos of the kits sprue tree. One of the sites had a section on “sci-fi” kits section. Curious as to what they had on them clicked on it and it had lumped in model kits of actual space hardware, such as the NASA rockets listed on that page.Continue reading
I finally completed modeling the mounting hardware for the underside windows on the workbee. It actually entailed rebuilding the inside “window” edge of the components. This was due to not leaving the inside face of the window opening vertical. Instead I had it at the 41.5º angle which is the average outside slope of the underside angled hull in the area of the window location.Continue reading
This past week I spent working out the precise design and shape of the underside windows of the workbee. While at first blush, this would seem to be a fairly straight-forward task, working it out as if it were a “real” vehicle that would need to operate in the vacuum of space made it pretty challenging.Continue reading
Over the past week, I have been working on modeling the underside “greebles” of the workbee. Thanks to some reference images I got awhile back, I was able to make some more headway. I pretty much have all the detailing on the underside completed but will need to make final positioning of the lower windows and the package monitor/control panel points (panels) which are on the lower sidewalls.Continue reading