After a brief hiatus from working on the detailing of the Enterprise-refit‘s recreation deck, I jumped back into it and modeled the multimedia intercom panel as well as made some corrections on the sidewall buttress light-panels. In addition, I finished drawing up the artwork for the alcove signage for the remaining five alcoves.
I took a break from modeling the Workbee to begin roughing out the 3D modeling of the Recreation Deck on the Enterprise-refit from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (TMP). This was one of the more visually interesting sets built for the film, but also the most problematic one for us rivet-counting Treknolgists.Continue reading
The other day, several people I have conversed with about the workbee, alerted me to some production drawings of an unused workbee grabber sled design. There was a grabber sled that was built and used for the workbee in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, however this design was an alternative one that did not appear in the film.Continue reading
Thanks to an Amazon Christmas Gift Card, I finally broke down and purchased the 50th anniversary re-issue of an old Revell/Monogram “First Lunar Landing” model kit commemorating the Apollo 11 moon landing. This kit has a “greeble” that was used on the workbee filming miniature for Star Trek: The Motion Picture.Continue reading
Last night I had a breakthrough on some of the detailing for the workbee. While doing some online searching at some model hobby shop websites which have some decent background information on model kits, some including photos of the kits sprue tree. One of the sites had a section on “sci-fi” kits section. Curious as to what they had on them clicked on it and it had lumped in model kits of actual space hardware, such as the NASA rockets listed on that page.Continue reading
I finally completed modeling the mounting hardware for the underside windows on the workbee. It actually entailed rebuilding the inside “window” edge of the components. This was due to not leaving the inside face of the window opening vertical. Instead I had it at the 41.5º angle which is the average outside slope of the underside angled hull in the area of the window location.Continue reading
This past week I spent working out the precise design and shape of the underside windows of the workbee. While at first blush, this would seem to be a fairly straight-forward task, working it out as if it were a “real” vehicle that would need to operate in the vacuum of space made it pretty challenging.Continue reading
Over the past week, I have been working on modeling the underside “greebles” of the workbee. Thanks to some reference images I got awhile back, I was able to make some more headway. I pretty much have all the detailing on the underside completed but will need to make final positioning of the lower windows and the package monitor/control panel points (panels) which are on the lower sidewalls.Continue reading