Over the past week, I have been working on modeling the underside “greebles” of the workbee. Thanks to some reference images I got awhile back, I was able to make some more headway. I pretty much have all the detailing on the underside completed but will need to make final positioning of the lower windows and the package monitor/control panel points (panels) which are on the lower sidewalls.Continue reading
While I have not updated my blog in the past two months, it’s not because I have not been working on a bunch of things in the digital 3D realm for the Enterprise drawings from Star Trek: The Motion Picture (ST:TMP). I have simply been spending a lot of time doing a deep dive on the travel pod doors to reverse engineer the docking port at the back of the Enterprise Bridge deck. That in turn will inform the Bridge/2-3 Deck superstructure.
Did some more work on the Officer’s Lounge re-drawing this evening and last. I have pretty much completed the details of the starboard-side planter area. This is a reinterpretation of the way the plants, the soil and even the 23rd century koi fish (yes there are fish in the original blueprint drawing) as well as other decorative garden area elements are drawn.
Over the weekend I did a little more digital re-drawing of the Enterprise Officer’s Lounge blueprint. In doing so I have found that some of the hand written dimensions do not match what is drawn. In several instances some of the stated dimensions are simply “wrong” for the dimension of the element as drawn in the scale of the drawing itself.
It’s been several weeks since my last post and a lot of experimenting and a possible change in direction is in the offing.
Well, I have been working with the initial draft artwork for the workbee spine. And it is as I imagined. Insanely small and pushing the envelope of being able to be cut, folded and built.
Tonight I assembled a decent transparency layer, and tested out threading six 0.25mm fiber optic filaments into the workbee. It was on the whole successful, though one of the side running light filaments moved while I was curing the UV adhesive, and it snapped inside the upper shell.
So after work I picked up some clear laser printer mailing label media from Avery at the local Office Depot. I wanted to pick some up to test how it behaves when being cut, applied in multiple layers, and even a quick test splash of Testors Acrylic paint with a brush to see how it adheres.
As I mentioned in a post the other day, working backwards into some of the small detailing pieces that will eventually be part of the model is part and parcel to how I plan on having the level of detailing in my model be realized.
So I have been working up micro-scale Illustrator files as a sort of miniature “blueprints” for a micro-model of the workbees.